Deadline: 5th July 2019
Restless Development (Uganda) is an International NGO established to address the challenges faced by young people in Uganda by placing young people at the forefront of change and development. Our vision is for all Ugandan youth to live healthy and productive lives, fully supported by those around them. Our programming focuses on three core areas: youth sexual and reproductive health and rights, youth civic participation and youth employment and livelihoods.
About DYNAMIC Programme
The Driving Youth-led New Agribusiness and Microenterprise (DYNAMIC) programme is a five (5) year programme funded by the MasterCard Foundation and is implemented by consortium of INGOs in Uganda including GOAL (Lead Agency), Mercy Corps, VSO and Restless Development and is currently in its fourth year of implantation. The DYNAMIC Programme will strengthen systems and facilitate the creation of sustainable economic opportunities for disadvantaged Ugandan youth. DYNAMIC’s overall goal is to increase the number of young people who are in secure employment or self-employment and to promote effective and efficient agricultural market systems for youth. Through a market-driven and holistic approach, DYNAMIC will engage an array of public and private sector actors to increase access to goods, services, markets, information and productive and social assets to increase productivity of Ugandan agribusinesses and non-farm enterprises. DYNAMIC will reach 125,000 out-of-school youth aged 15 – 24 living in peri-urban and rural communities in northern Uganda and Karamoja sub-region.
The Youth Engagement Officer will work directly with the Youth Engagement and the Skills and Learning Advisors to provide the technical backstopping to the peer education model that support the full integration of youth into agricultural market systems in Northern Uganda. She/he will take full responsibility for capacity-building of youth and the facilitation of linkages between youth and other market and community actors throughout the project, by offering oversight to the delivery of the Peer Education model.
- Lead the recruitment and selection process for peer educators. which will involve developing selection criteria and materials, advertising in the target communities and management of peer educator agreed deliverable through formal MOUs
- Work with other DYNAMIC team members to organize foundation and mid¬term trainings for peer educators
- Manage peer educator outputs through monthly work plans, regular support, supervision and mentorship visits
- Ensure linkages between peer educators and agribusiness private sector actors to identify and develop opportunities to engage youth effectively in their businesses.
- Support the development of programme progress reports
- Work with peer educators to strengthen youth groups by supporting registrations, networking and resource mobilization
- Organize peer educator feedback meetings and debrief to ensure learning from each peer educator cohort is factored into improving the PSEP model
- Support the DYNAMIC evaluation and learning component that will add to the body of knowledge on viable models to support access to secured employment and self-employment for youth in Uganda
- Support and organize youth involvement in agricultural fairs and multi¬stakeholder platforms
- Ensure achievements and best practices in the Peer Education model are documented and shared for programme learning and improvement
Management of peer educator welfare
- Provide correction, care and guidance in an approachable, supportive and helpful way to all the peer educators
- Ensure peer educators adhere to the provided policies and procedures governing the DYNAMIC Programme
- Mediate between the volunteers and communities, when and if communication or programme related problems occur
- Ensure Programme Manager is aware of emerging issues related to the work of peer educators for immediate redress
Partnership and Relationship building
- To build and develop relationships with District and sub-county government as necessary to support implementation of the DYNAMIC programme
- Support the establishment and maintenance of relationships with target communities, and local government.
- Ensure regular engagement of youth groups with youth structures within their communities
- Ensure information on government programmes is shared with youth
- Work with peer educators to ensure youth are linked and represented in relevant networks such as farmers’ groups and business associations
- Other duties as required: Other duties as required. Occasionally working on weekends and holidays for which time off in lieu can be taken
Required Knowledge, Education, Skills, and Abilities
- The Restless Development Youth Engagement Officer job should preferably hold a Degree in fields such as youth development, agribusiness, agriculture, social works, Development studies and other relevant field
- Three years of experience designing and delivering youth engagement programmes and demonstrated experience in Agribusiness and Microenterprise development for unemployed youth
- Experience working in a consortia type of programmes
- Experience with Monitoring and Evaluation systems and research, including participatory research approaches
- Experience in market development
- Experience working in Lango sub region, understanding and ability to speak Leblango is an added advantage
- The applicant should possess a valid driving permit (Class A) and a certificate in defensive riding course will be an added advantage
- A clear understanding of contemporary development issues particularly those related to economic opportunities for youth
- Ability to analyze problems and make sound operational decisions
- Excellent organizational, written and verbal communication skills
- Strong computer literacy with full knowledge of office applications
- Experience working as a volunteer will be an added advantage
- Strategic Thinking: Identifies and creates opportunities to deliver the strategy (goals, model and the youth collective) both individually and as a team
- Innovation an adaptability: Encourages and recognizes a culture of initiative and innovation which focuses on adding value- giving people space and praise for creativity.
- Leadership and management: Ensures team work including completion of responsibilities and professional development
- People Development: Demonstrates behaviours such as teamwork, knowledge sharing, maintaining relationships, and hold team to account while offering guidance. Takes action to address areas for their personal growth and improvement and that of the team members they line manage. distinguishes between high and low performers objectively; expresses encouragement to those who try to develop or who show improvement
- Communication: Adapts communications to the specific audiences, prepares and presents reports; Understands the Restless Brand and uses it consistently
- Delivery: Creates regular reviews of what and who is required to make a piece of work successful and makes ongoing improvements. Remains positive and focused on achieving outcomes despite challenges and raises issues when necessary of control
How to Apply:
All suitably qualified and interested candidates who wish to join Restless Development in the aforementioned capacity should fill in this form, download here, and send it to firstname.lastname@example.org. Please note that we DO NOT accept CVs, resumes and cover letters.