DEADLINE: July 12, 2019
Applications are invited for the Council of Europe World Forum for Democracy 2019. The World Forum for Democracy is a unique platform for political decision-makers and activists to debate solutions to key challenges for democracies worldwide.
By identifying and analysing experimental initiatives and practices, the Forum highlights and encourages democracy innovations at the grassroots and their transfer on a systemic level in order to strengthen the foundations of democratic societies. The Forum thus contributes to the evolution of democracy towards more participatory and inclusive structures and institutions.
“Democracy and information” is the theme of the World Forum for Democracy in 2019 with two main threads:
- Democracy dies in darkness: are we getting the information we need?
- Information and the Future: lost in space or masters of our own fate?
Information is changing. The volume, the content, the platforms: each of these has evolved beyond recognition in a short period of time. This evolution continues. Twenty-five years ago, most of our information came from printed publications, television and radio. Today, these are complemented, rivalled and often eclipsed by websites, blogs and social media. Well-known outlets have been joined by a plethora of new sources – including millions of individuals – that spread news with the click of a share button.
The questions we must address in 2019 are to what extent the information is reliable, whether this helps or hinders citizens in taking part in democratic processes, and what lessons we should learn for ensuring the free flow of information in the future. The core content of the Forum will consist of discussions about successful initiatives and actions, which have real-life initiatives as a starting point. General guiding principles will then be drawn to encourage and support future policy responses and field action.
In this context, the Youth Department of the Council of Europe will invite 50-60 young people to participate and engage with decision makers and opinion-formers in a reflection on the question of Democracy and Information.
- Travel expenses and visa costs will be reimbursed upon presentation of the relevant receipts, according to the rules of the Council of Europe. Only the participants who attend the entire event (pre-Forum meeting and World Forum) can be reimbursed. The payment will be made by bank transfer after the World Forum. Prepaid tickets for travel can only be arranged in exceptional and justified cases.
- Board and lodging are provided and paid for by the Council of Europe (arrival on Sunday 3rd November and departure on Saturday 9th November). Participants will be accommodated at the European Youth Centre in Strasbourg (EYCS). You might be requested to share a room. The EYCS is fully accessible to young people with disabilities and ready to adapt to young people’s special needs in order to ensure full inclusion and quality working conditions. Wi-fi is provided in the rooms.
- Be aged 18-30 (exceptions can be made in special cases);
- Be able to communicate and work in English;
- Be actively involved in civil society democracy initiatives;
- Be motivated to contribute to developing new ideas on youth and democracy;
- Be ready to share own challenges faced in relation to media, fake news, information and its effects on democracy;
- Be ready to adopt a solution-oriented approach by bringing in new ideas and visions on the question of media, fake news, information and democracy;
- Be available to participate fully in the World Forum for Democracy and the preparation process beforehand;
- The youth representatives will be chosen on the basis of these criteria and a video to be submitted. The Council of Europe welcomes applications from all candidates who fulfil the above mentioned profile, irrespective of gender, disability, marital or parental status, racial, ethnic or social origin, colour, religion, belief or sexual orientation.
- A few limited places will allow for participants from the previous editions of the World Forum to participate.
To apply and for more information visit here