In an effort to promote African youth’s active participation in the continent’s development, the African Union Development Agency/NEPAD is running a youth essay contest, targeting young African people and its diaspora in proposing concrete pathways through which Agenda 2063 the continent’s framework for transformation, can be fast-tracked.
The Africa We Want Youth Essay Contest
The Africa We Want Youth Essay Contest aims to provide the space through which youths can express their views freely on “The Africa We Want” by articulating their aspirations and ideals for shaping the future of our continent.
AUDA/NEPAD recognizes African youth as important stakeholders in achieving the Agenda 2063 goals and aspirations. In this regard, deliberate efforts are being made to harness the intellectual insights and energies of the youth in shaping the pathways and participating in the implementation of Agenda 2063. Accordingly, AUDA/NEPAD is organizing a short essay contest that will serve to solicit novel ideas from Africa’s youth.
- Contestants must be aged between 15 and 35 years by the contest deadline.
- Only one proposal per contestant will be accepted.
- Contestants must be African citizens; non-African citizens are not eligible to participate in the contest.
- All youths (between the ages of 15 and 35) and especially girls, women, and people living with disabilities are strongly encouraged to participate.
All contestants for the Africa we want youth essay contest must submit a completed and signed version of the document below. Please place a check next to each item below to be certain you have not missed anything!
- The essay – as per the instructions below
- Parental consent (Applicable only to those below the age of 18)
- Consent Form
Type the essay on A4 paper size, 2-3 pages maximum. Handwritten essays are accepted and should be on A4 paper size, 2-3 pages maximum. Please include your name on the essay.
Language: Essays can be written in any of the African Union (AU) official languages namely: Swahili, English, French, Arabic, and Portuguese.
How to Apply
To apply for the Africa we want youth essay contest, scan your entry documents to a .jpg or .pdf format and attach them to email@example.com.
Click here to download the ENGLISH entry form
Deadline: 28th February 2019